Historic Village Street Scenes

Click to open the image full size in a new tab or click image to view in a gallery

We have 2,004 Photographs & 29 Paintings / Drawings in several Galleries...

The Crossroads, Bere Regis in about 1896

Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

This is one of the earliest post-card views of Bere Regis.

The shop at the right was then a saddler, and no doubt obtained work from the Royal Oak public house at the left of the picture, which advertises "Good Stabling".

A sign projecting from Beminster's Stores, obscured in this view, advertises Pratt's Spirit, while outside that shop's entrance is a pile of horse droppings probably left during a delivery of goods there. In the top-right dormer window of the Royal Oak someone is pulling back the curtain to watch the photographer!

West Street, Bere Regis in about 1920

Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

At the left is 'Hatton's Stores and Post Office' and in the doorway is Mrs Hatton.

Mr Hatton is crossing the road, and he commissioned a series of village views for a post-card set.

The building on the right was a bicycle and ironmongery shop until the early 1970s.

Bere Regis Post Office in 1875

Courtesy of Paul Bennett

 

Although this image is of poor quality, it is very interesting in that it shows a building which disappeared in 1902.

The Post Office building was next to what is now Central Stores, in the space where the Cyril Wood Court buildings are now. 

Shown at the door are the post mistress Mrs Dowland and Miss Eliza Lane, her assistant.

Note the two men with the handcart and evidence of

horse traffic on the road.

West Street, Bere Regis in about 1904

Courtesy of Paul Bennett

 

Although similar to many other views of West Street, this one shows the two cottages on the left which have now gone.

They burned down in 1908 and the site remained empty until two houses were built on the site in 1999/2000.

Note the turf frontage to the houses on the left, while over the road a fenced garden projects onto the pavement area.

Further down the street, the Post Office is gone, which had gone by 1902.

Coming up to the turn of the last century, this part of Butt Lane looked out onto open countryside.

Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

This is one of the earliest post-card views of Bere Regis.

The shop at the right was then a saddler, and no doubt obtained work from the Royal Oak public house at the left of the picture, which advertises "Good Stabling".

A sign projecting from Beminster's Stores, obscured in this view, advertises Pratt's Spirit, while outside that shop's entrance is a pile of horse droppings probably left during a delivery of goods there. In the top-right dormer window of the Royal Oak someone is pulling back the curtain to watch the photographer!

Bere Regis Cross Roads in 1927

Courtesy of Paul & Alison  Bennett

 

At the left is 'Hatton's Stores and Post Office' and in the doorway is Mrs Hatton.

Mr Hatton is crossing the road, and he commissioned a series of village views for a post-card set.

The building on the right was a bicycle and ironmongery shop until the early 1970s.

Looking towards Honeycombe Cottage, Shitterton near 1900

Courtesy of Paul & Alison

Bennett

 

Although this image is of poor quality, it is very interesting in that it shows a building which disappeared in 1902.

The Post Office building was next to what is now Central Stores, in the space where the Cyril Wood Court buildings are now Shown at the door are the post mistress Mrs Dowland and Miss Eliza Lane, her assistant.

Note the two men with the handcart and evidence of

horse traffic on the road.

The Royal Oak - Look at the old layout of the road to Poole

Courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

This familiar view has changed little in the 74 years since the photograph was made.

The Royal Oak public house's brewery was Strong & Co of Romsey, while the small sign at the left advertises Luncheons & Teas.

The RAC man on duty to direct the traffic is Fred Harris.

 

Courtesy of Paul & Alison  Bennett

 

West Street & Hatton Stores in the 1920's

Although we have no date for this photograph, taking an educated guess I would say it was from the 1920's.

The type of car in the foreground and the general lack of cars point to the early part of our motorised age.

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

West Street looking West sometime between 1925 - 1927.

Where is everybody?

The bottom end of Butt Lane around 1917

Courtesy of Paul & Alison

Bennett

 

The open field corner on the left has now been built upon, though the view up Butt lane to the right looks remarkably similar today. The building to the right was the original Dorchester Turnpike Road Toll keepers house.

It is still there, although the door has been removed.

North Street looking South

Courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Note the bicyclist on his way up the street. Also the Royal Oak poking its head out at the bottom.

Courtesy of Paul & Alison  Bennett

 

West Street & Hatton Stores in the 1920's

Although we have no date for this photograph, taking an educated guess I would say it was from the 1920's.

The type of car in the foreground and the general lack of cars point to the early part of our motorised age.

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

The Esso station before it was demolished to make way for Houses.

Royal Oak 'Hotel' around 1927

Courtesy of Paul & Alison

Bennett

 

The jury is still out on what make the Car in the Photograph is? The 4 Contenders are -

1927/28 Austin Heavy 12/4 Mulliner Sports

1925 Sunbeam 14/40 hp

1929 AC

1923 Alvis

If you know better then please contact us.

Spot the spelling mistake!

West Street around 11am - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Drax Arms Hotel - that's an old sign!

Clcik on the full sized image and check the cars out further down the street.

The time is around 11am - can you tell how?

The Cross - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

What sort of creature is attacking the man drinking Simonds Pale Ale? Also, look at the roof on the building just beyond the Vicarage on the left hand side of the street - fire?

Left of Entrance to Shitterton in the 1908s

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Mr & Mrs Coles bungalow which had a sweet shop with a garage at the back.

They also ran a taxi service.

To make a welcome change, the spot occupied by this building in the 1980's, is now a grassy knoll with trees planted on it.

 

Hatton Stores,Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Are they all waiting for sweets or has someone told them they will be immortalised on the Internet in 100 years time, if they just stay still for a moment...

Looking northwards over Southbrook Bridge - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

A tranquil scene indeed. I wonder if the trilby wearing gentleman could have known that his hat would come back into fashion a 100 years later.

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

'Higher' West Street

 

With the average shutter speed requiring people to have to pose for less and less amounts of time, photographers could afford to place multiple subjects in their frames.

Here though a moving pedestrian on the right hand side of the street misses his chance for posterity on this website.

 

Southbrook Bridge with White Lovington in  the distance Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Can you see Westbrook cottage peeking its roof over the trees on the right?

House Doorway on West Street

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

A fairly ornate doorway by anyones standards!

Southbrook Bridge Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Can you see the church poking its tower above the jungle of foliage around it?.

Shop on Junction of North & West Streets

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Look at the Halt sign marking on the road - this would become an extremley busy junction.

 

North Street in 1900 Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

A relatively peaceful North Street

 

North Street looking south Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

You can just make out the Royal Oak at the end of the street

The Cross & West Street in 1880

Photograph courtesy of Paul Bennett

 

Bit of a traffic jam unfolding here!

Hatton Stores & The Village Post Office in 1900

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

Hatton Stores also served as the Village post office for a period of time.

Can you see the post office sign? It's 3.20pm and the postman is on his bike - has he finished his round or is it second post?

If I couldn't see the time in the photograph, I could always guesstimate it from peoples' shadows - especially the gentleman on the far right

North Street looking north  Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

The mother & daughter out for a stroll have just passed the Drax Hall on the left

 

The Cross & West Street in 1982

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

You can see the renovation work being carried out on the shop on the corner to turn it into a private residence.

The Hunt meeting outside the Royal Oak, 1927

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

Check out the wonderful cars. This photograph was taken from one of the windows of the Royal Oak.

The Huntsmen & Hounds are heading off up the road to Poole.

North Street in 1980 Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

Could anyone be against the bypass?!!

 

 

West Street in 1980

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

The cars on this street date it nicely!

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

Shitterton Lane looking North, c1900

 

What is going on with the house on the right? Is it being rethatched, has half of it just fallen down, or has an early version of 'Changing Rooms' gone horribly wrong! The lady on the left is Sarah Ann Bright who lived at no. 17 Shitterton. A big thank you to Sarahs living relative, Joanne Norton, for the name check!

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

83 West Street in 1900

 

Notice the lady washing her doorstep & the bizarre balcony near her.

Seems a strange place to have a balcony!

The lady is either Mary Ann Brown, or one of her daughters.

Thank you to Mike Burt for that information.

Mary Ann Brown was his Great Grandmother.

Carriages galore on West Street, c1900 - Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

Very smart looking carriages, but what if it rained?!!

 

 

Shitterton Farmhouse from the East - Photograph courtesy of Ian Ventham

 

In the distance you can see Shitterton lane with further outbuildings across it. They have now been very sensitively turned into housing.

A lovely looking farmhouse that has weathered time well. - Photograph courtesy of Ian Ventham

 

Shitterton Farmhouse from the South

Shitterton Farmhouse from the West.

Photograph courtesy of Ian Ventham

 

This photograph was kindly lent by the previous owner of Shitterton farmhouse, Ian Ventham. Isn't that ivy clad wall wonderful - all it needs is a balcony and Romeo & Juliet would go down a treat here!

The Besant family, outside the front door with a camera shy dog - Photograph courtesy of Ian Ventham

Shitterton Farmhouse family in 1915

 

 

Shitterton Farmhouse family in the Garden - Photograph courtesy of Ian Ventham

 

The ladies enjoying a fine day in the garden (looks like grey sky though.....!)

A very quiet Bere Regis Cross - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Even the dog is keeping the noise down!

West Street looking west - Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

With all the bicycles outside the Drax Arms, it seems the locals are enjoying the local ales whilst the children play in the street.

Not quite so safe a premise nowadays!

Shitterton looking east in the 1930's

Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

Honeycombe Cottage, on the right, shortly had 2 extra windows inserted in the wall. With current planning laws it would have been much more difficult to make those sort of changes. This highlights the fine line between keeping a property in an original state and helping owners make it suitable for 21st century living.

 

 

 

Court Green house from behind.

Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

King John allegedly once stayed here

Village shop in 1935.

Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Thomas Applin & Eliza Joyner standing outside the Applin Butcher Shop.

They were very patriotic villagers supporting King George

A cottage in Shitterton.

Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

This cottage no longer exisits - a bunglaow stands on its site which is just to your right as you aproach Shitterton Bridge from the village.

West Street - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

The small building to the right is the Bus waiting room, Busy days down Dorset way...

The Cross - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Simonds advertising is well placed for the passing traffic

West Street in the 1950's - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Even in the 1950's we were spared the all pervading parked cars. The two girls walking away from the camera are Jean Gibbs & Judith Atwell

West Street after a whirlwind tore down it - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Plenty of work for the thatchers!

The Drax Arms & West Street - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

The football must be on......(on what??)

Southmead bridge in quieter days - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

That water looks rather inviting...

West Street in 1950

 

Photograph part of the Donald Birkinshaw Archive & courtesy of John from Mementoes UK

West Street - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Not quite such a safe place to play nowadays!

New architectural style - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

This house is called Philliols. Notice the old car in the immediate foreground - I didn't notice it for ages

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking West from near the Shitterton Turn off, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking West on 24th April 1950 is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking East from the West End on 24th April 1950 is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking East with a few people walking down it, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking East & the Stores in particular, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking West with a single car on it, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking East with an old black & white signpost in the foreground, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking West with a lovely old car in the foreground, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

West Street in 1950

 

This Photograph of West Street looking East with an advert for 'The Listener' in the foreground, on 24th April 1950, is from the Ashley Series of Postcards & Calenders and was taken by Donald Birkinshaw

The Cross, Bere Regis - Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett

 

Note the very obvious advertising on the side of the building - no one would be in much doubt as to what the shopkeeper had on offer!

West Street in 1950

 

Photograph part of the Donald Birkinshaw Archive & courtesy of John from Mementoes UK

West Street in 1950

 

Photograph part of the Donald Birkinshaw Archive & courtesy of John from Mementoes UK

The Manor House - Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett

 

Methinks a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss!

The Old Vicarage around 1900

 

After the Village fire of 1788, the Vicar at the time, The Revnd. Thomas Williams, funded the rebuilding of the destroyed Vicarage from his own purse.

The building was added to in Victorian times (for example the rendering) and still stands, although now it is a private dwelling.

The current Vicarage is a lovely Victorian building next to the church

 

Schoolboys on West Street - Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett

 

Note the bunch of schoolboys on the far left hand side of the street & the 'Hatton Stores' written on the shop front to the immediate right hand side

White Lovington House in 1970

 

White Lovington House was demolished in August 1987 and a development of 16 detached houses was built on the site. Some of the beautiful trees collected by the former owners were retained in the development which is called White Lovington

The Old Barn in West Street in 1956

 

This beautiful old barn was demolished shortly after this photograph was taken. It was replaced by an Esso Service Station which in turn was replaced by some houses...

White Lovington Cottage, Southbrook, in about 1955

 

This cottage has now been demolished

Southbrook Barn & Buff Barn where Southbrook becomes Rye Hill, shown in 1955

 

Southbrook Barn & Buff Barn were demolished in 1972. Buff Barn is where the entrance to Rye Hill Close now is. It was called Buff Barn, because it was where Buff Cleall kept his heavy horses.

Two Cottages in Southbrook in about 1955

 

These cottages used to stand just south of White Lovington

Cattle being driven through Shitterton in 1918

 

Is it me or do those cows look superimposed!!!

West Street looking West - Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett

 

Those power lines really are unattractive don't you think? A nice quiet street though - note the green verge on the left!

The Old Vicarge - Photograph courtesy of Mark Bennett

 

Look at the lovely old lawn roller - you wouldn't want to catch your foot under that!

Arrival of the Post at the Post Office

 

Snazzy looking postvan!

Snow on North Street - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

There is a serious amount of snow here!

Central Stores ladies - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

Look at Sheppards Watch Repair shop...

North Street in 1982 - Photograph courtesy of Tony Bates

 

This photograph was taken 2 hours before the village bypass was opened in 1982. Look at that blockage in the distance!

Can you imagine trying to use the pavement here? What about waking up the next morning to.......silence!

Central Stores ladies - Photograph courtesy of Michael Eastman

 

No shortage of staff in this shop!

Snow gully - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Quite a job clearing this stuff!

West Street in about 1912

 

Look at Sheppards Watch Repair shop...

West Street - Photograph courtesy of Paul Bennett

West Street - Photograph courtesy of Paul Bennett

 

This photograph was taken 2 hours before the village bypass was opened in 1982. Look at that blockage in the distance!

Can you imagine trying to use the pavement here? What about waking up the next morning to.......silence!

Esso Station, Nov 1988

 

 

Southbrook Bridge, Bere Regis in about 1912 - Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

This Eighteenth century brick bridge existed until 1956 when the road was widened and the present reinforced concrete bridge was made. This delightful scene includes a horse-drawn carriage although not visible would be the horse taking a drink from the river.

 

Southbrook Bridge

 

A truly sylvanian view...

Shop owner at shop on The Cross - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Fancy some 'brown beauty' or 'black beauty' or even some 'Wills "Star" Cigarettes'? How about some 'Tizer' - didn't that come out in the 1980's - I guess not!

The Crossroads, Bere Regis circa 1901 - Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

The Royal Oak at left is being passed by a horse-drawn wagon, while another one is approaching further up the street. On the right is Bemister's Stores which had been established by Richard Brain in 1846, but by the time this picture was taken, Mr Bemister had taken over. The sign reads Grocer & Baker, Corn and Meal Store.

 

The Royal Oak Pub sometime in the 1920s

 

Do you know a more accurate year for this photograph? Contact us if you do

 

The Laurels, West Street, Bere Regis in 1970 - Photograph Courtesy of John Pitfield

 

The 'Laurels' cottage at the bottom of Butt Lane in West Street was one of three ex-army wooden buildings put up in Bere Regis at the end of the First World War. This one was cement rendered and pebble-dashed. The other two were at the point where Sitterton joins West Street at the west of the village, and the other was latterly the Scout Hut just south of the entrance to Cemetery Lane. Both were intended to be temporary buildings, but all survived to the late 1980s. This particular view shows very little traffic despite this being the main A35 road at this time.

 

Blind Street - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Classic Cars

The Cross - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

A quiet Day

Butt Lane in 1981 - Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Lots of snow!

 

106 Woodbury Hill - Photograph courtesy of Raymond Lake

 

 

Photograph courtesy of Raymond Lake

 

107 Woodbury Hill

The Royal Oak - Photograph courtesy of George Ward

 

Note the Traffic lights which were thankfully removed once the bypass was completed

Snow blizzard on Blind Street, 1978 - Photograph courtesy of George Ward

 

Now that's alot of snow!

 

Farmhouse on Woodbury Hill

 

Photograph courtesy of George Ward

Farmhouses on Woodbury Hill

 

107 Woodbury Hill

Photograph courtesy of George Ward

 

Farmhouse on Woodbury Hill

Bere Regis Village Stores & The Post Office in 1986

 

This Photograph was taken by Villagers, as part of the 1986 BBC Domesday Project.

 

Photograph courtesy of George Ward

 

Farmhouse on Woodbury Hill

Photograph courtesy of Heather Frazer

 

The Village shop decorated for George V Silver Jubilee in 1935

Looking west along West Street in the 1950's

 

Looking west along West Street in the 1950's, showing a Garage to the left.

Photograph courtesy of Joanne Studeman

 

Sarah Ann Bright (Brown) outside 17 Shitterton.

 

83 West Street - Photograph courtesy of Mike Burt

 

Mary Ann Brown (nee Bowles), outside her home at 83 West Street

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

Cows on West Street

The Drax Arms in the 1970s

 

 

Honeycombe Cottage, Shitterton, in 1945

 

 

 

Honeycombe Cottage, Shitterton, in 1945

 

 

West Street in the 1940s.

Photograph courtesy of Paul Bennett

 

 

This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited.

West Street, in Bere Regis

 

West Street with The Drax Arms on the right

The Cross, in 1885, taken from the Gamebook of Mr Charles Harvey Coombs

 

This Photograph is Copyright of Dorset County Museum. The Museum is owned and managed by the Dorset Natural History & Archaeological Society (DNH&AS). Reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

The Opening of the Old Barn Esso Garage, by Mrs Betty Jarvis

Photograph courtesy of Margaret & Lewis Bartlett

 

Horsing around on west end of West Street

Photograph courtesy of Paul & Alison Bennett

 

The Opening Day of the Old Barn Esso Garage, West Street

Photograph courtesy of Martin King

 

The Manor House

The first Wesleyan Church

 

 

The first Wesleyan Church

Bere Regis

Turberville Tombs

 

Turberville Tombs

Bere Regis