Bere Regis Village website

Village Trade Directories 1830 -

1939

Robsons 1835 Description of Bere Regis

Bere Regis, a village and parish in the hundred of Bere Regis, 8 miles from Blandford, and a 112 from London , contained, in 1831, 1,170 inhabitants, and was assessed to 1,993, in 1815. It is supposed to have been the site of the Roman Station called Ibernium, and Woodbury Hill, in the immediate neighbourhood, that of the Castra station, or summer encampment for this district. It still retains traces of a large encampment, and commands a most extensive view of the Isle of Perwickpool, and Studland Bay. A fair is held on this hill annually, which lasts five days, beginning on the 18th of September. It is chiefly for cloth, sheep, cheese, pedlary, and amusement. It appears to have been at one time a place of some consequence. Queen Elfrida retired here for concealment, after the assassination of her son-in-law, Edward the Martyr. It was also the residence of King John, who granted it a market by charter, and was made a borough in the reign of Edward I. It was nearly consumed by fire in the years of 1634 and 1788. The living is a vicarage, having the chapelry of Winterbourne Kingston attached in the patronage of Baliol College, Oxford, value 25l 5s K.B. and 400l in 1835. The church accommodates 600 persons. There is a chapel here for Wesleyan Methodists and Independents, and a charity school, founded by Thomas Williams, Esq. for educating and clothing eight boys annually. Cardinal Morton, who occupies a distinguished place in the annals of the reign of Henry VII., was born in this town. See the names that are on record below - Name, Profession ASH Bryer, Carpenter BABRICK John, Shoemaker BILES Wm., Blacksmith BURGE R, Grocer and Tallow Chandler CASE G & H, Linen and Woollen Drapers & Tea Dealers CASHER Jno, Royal Oak and Brewer CHARD Geo., Tailor CLARK Jonathan, Draper and Grocer COAKES Mark, Shopkeeper DIBDEN Geo, Beer Retailer DIBDEN Geo, Butcher DRAKE J.S.W.S. Esq., GALLOP Joshua, Shopkeeper GALLOP Mary, Post Mistress GALTON H, Cabinet maker & Joiner & Shopkeeper GOULD Sarah, Beer Retailer GOULD Thos., Baker & Shopkeeper HALLETT Wm. Esq., HAWKER J. S., Schoolmaster HIBBS Edw., Baker HIBBS Edwd., Blacksmith HOMER Geo., Shopkeeper HOUSE, Henry Carpenter LANE Wm., Shoemaker LEY Rev C., Vicar NORTHOVER Wm., Plumber & Glazier NOTT Thos., Surgeon RADCLIFFE Chas. Esq., (Byde - residence) SHAVE Jno., Harness maker VIVIAN Jno., Drakes Arms WALBRIDGE Wm., Cooper WELCH Jno., Shoemaker WHITEHALL Jno., Carpenter WHITE Henry Beer Retailer WINDSOR Jno., Ironmonger WOOLFREYS Jno., Shoemaker
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.
Search Page:

Village Trade Directories 1830 -

1939

Bere Regis Village Website

Robsons 1835 Description of Bere Regis

Bere Regis, a village and parish in the hundred of Bere Regis, 8 miles from Blandford, and a 112 from London , contained, in 1831, 1,170 inhabitants, and was assessed to 1,993, in 1815. It is supposed to have been the site of the Roman Station called Ibernium, and Woodbury Hill, in the immediate neighbourhood, that of the Castra station, or summer encampment for this district. It still retains traces of a large encampment, and commands a most extensive view of the Isle of Perwickpool, and Studland Bay. A fair is held on this hill annually, which lasts five days, beginning on the 18th of September. It is chiefly for cloth, sheep, cheese, pedlary, and amusement. It appears to have been at one time a place of some consequence. Queen Elfrida retired here for concealment, after the assassination of her son-in-law, Edward the Martyr. It was also the residence of King John, who granted it a market by charter, and was made a borough in the reign of Edward I. It was nearly consumed by fire in the years of 1634 and 1788. The living is a vicarage, having the chapelry of Winterbourne Kingston attached in the patronage of Baliol College, Oxford, value 25l 5s K.B. and 400l in 1835. The church accommodates 600 persons. There is a chapel here for Wesleyan Methodists and Independents, and a charity school, founded by Thomas Williams, Esq. for educating and clothing eight boys annually. Cardinal Morton, who occupies a distinguished place in the annals of the reign of Henry VII., was born in this town. See the names that are on record below - Name, Profession ASH Bryer, Carpenter BABRICK John, Shoemaker BILES Wm., Blacksmith BURGE R, Grocer and Tallow Chandler CASE G & H, Linen and Woollen Drapers & Tea Dealers CASHER Jno, Royal Oak and Brewer CHARD Geo., Tailor CLARK Jonathan, Draper and Grocer COAKES Mark, Shopkeeper DIBDEN Geo, Beer Retailer DIBDEN Geo, Butcher DRAKE J.S.W.S. Esq., GALLOP Joshua, Shopkeeper GALLOP Mary, Post Mistress GALTON H, Cabinet maker & Joiner & Shopkeeper GOULD Sarah, Beer Retailer GOULD Thos., Baker & Shopkeeper HALLETT Wm. Esq., HAWKER J. S., Schoolmaster HIBBS Edw., Baker HIBBS Edwd., Blacksmith HOMER Geo., Shopkeeper HOUSE, Henry Carpenter LANE Wm., Shoemaker LEY Rev C., Vicar NORTHOVER Wm., Plumber & Glazier NOTT Thos., Surgeon RADCLIFFE Chas. Esq., (Byde - residence) SHAVE Jno., Harness maker VIVIAN Jno., Drakes Arms WALBRIDGE Wm., Cooper WELCH Jno., Shoemaker WHITEHALL Jno., Carpenter WHITE Henry Beer Retailer WINDSOR Jno., Ironmonger WOOLFREYS Jno., Shoemaker
© 2003, Bere Regis Village Website.