Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N. wall,
(1) to John Skerne, , freestone table-tomb (Plate 14) with brasses and canopy erected by Margaret (Thornhull) his wife in 1596, tomb-chest with moulded plinth and square-panelled front and ends, the panels containing blank shields enclosed in sub-cusped quatrefoils, the top slab with moulded edges and remains of wrought-iron guard and carrying two reeded and fluted columns and half-column responds supporting the canopy and continued up as corner-posts with knob finials; the back wall divided by pilaster buttresses into three bays containing brasses, in the middle an achievement-of-arms of Skerne impaling Thornhull (Fig. p. 16) with a separate inscription below, in the W. the kneeling figure of a man in civilian dress, and in the E. a woman; the canopy with a cornice decorated with quatrefoils and blind brattishing and a soffit (Plate 15) with unusual decoration including enriched bosses, a quatrefoil, and diapered panels enclosing star-shaped sinkings (cf. Church Knowle parish church, Monument 1). In N. aisle—on N. wall,
(2) mutilated reset fragments of a stone monument similar to (4) comprising the canopy with the traceried soffit set flush and the three wall-panels with brass indents of a kneeling figure of a knight wearing a tabard and with a scroll, inscription plate and smaller plate (probably a Trinity), and of a shield in each side panel, 16th-century, first half;
(3) to Robert, , son of John Williams of Herringston, and Maria (Argenton) his wife, , wall-monument of painted clunch erected by L W (probably his son, Lewis Williams) in 1631, consisting of a gilded inscription panel flanked by attached Tuscan columns supporting a cornice and pyramidal strapwork composition framing a shield of the quarterly arms of Williams, De La Lynde, Herring, Syward, all impaling Argenton. In S. aisle— in E. wall,
(4) canopied tomb of Purbeck marble with brass indents, the front with quatre-foiled panels, now almost entirely defaced, and moulded capping supporting part-octagonal attached shafts carrying the canopy; the back wall slightly recessed, with trefoil-headed panels in the reveals, and containing partly defaced brass indents of two kneeling figures of a man and wife, an inscription plate below and a scroll between them, and flanking shields; the canopy with a band of quatrefoils across the front and blind brattishing, the soffit carved with a central boss of fan-pattern flanked by elaborate tracery-work, 16th-century, first half, much decayed; in S. wall,
(5) Purbeck marble tomb of similar type to (1) and (4) above, the front containing blank shields, that in the centre having had an applied brass shield, framed in sub-cusped quatrefoils in square traceried panels alternating with narrower trefoil-headed panels and with spirally-moulded shafts at each end; the recess above with flanking spirally-turned shafts and panelled reveals, the E. reveal containing a small recess with cinque-foiled ogee head and bracket; the back wall divided into three compartments, with brass indents of a Trinity flanked by kneeling figures of a knight and wife with scrolls and of an inscription panel below; the front of the canopy decorated with a band of quatrefoils and blind brattishing, the soffit (Plate 15) with two bosses and elaborately carved tracery, 16th-century, first half;
(6) tomb recess, E. springer only of arch surviving, with pierced cusp, probably 14th-century;
(7) in wall-recess, tomb with plain front and Purbeck top slab with chamfered under-edge, recess with septfoiled elliptical arch under an ogee label, this last much defaced, the foils with sunk spandrels, 14th-century. In W. tower—on S. wall,
(8) to Harvey Ekins, 1799, and M. Elizabeth his widow, 1806, white and grey marble wall-monument with fluted side pilasters, urn and blank shield;
(9) of Harvey Ekins Lillington, a great-nephew of Harvey Ekins (see foregoing), 1819, white and black marble wall-tablet. Outside—on N. wall of chancel,
(10) to John Wills, vicar, 1725/6, white marble wall-tablet on foliated corbel, erected by his wife Maria. In churchyard—E. of chancel, (11) to John, son of John and Elizabeth Stanly, 1701/2, and another, name concealed, headstone; N. of church,
(12) to Jasper Guy, 1695, headstone; (13) to David Guy, 1695, headstone;
(14) to Mary and Abis, daughters of William and Mary Whelch, 1704, headstone; S. of church, (15) to John, son of Thomas and Anna Boscomb, 1713, headstone; (16) to Jonathan Burges, 1682, headstone; (17) to Joy, son of James Burges, 1676, headstone; (18) to Andrew Sexey, 1691, carved headstone; (19) to Samuel Rutter, 1722, carved headstone; (20) foot-stone inscribed WT.ET.TS. 1695. 1699.
Floor-slabs: In chancel—two modern floor-tiles, marking the position of floor-slabs beneath concealed in 1875, inscribed (1) RW, 1631, (Robert, second son of John Williams of Herringston) and MW, 1630, (Mary (Argenton) his wife), and (2) GA, 1701, (Gulielmus Abell, A.M., vicar). In nave, in second bay of N. arcade, (3) to Thomas . . . ., 1608, with black-letter inscription, largely illegible. In S. aisle—(4) to John Turberville of 'Beere' and Woolbridge and Ann (Howard) his wife, daughter of Thomas, Viscount Bindon, 1633; (5) over the Turberville vault, dated 1710. In W. tower, (6) with traces of black-letter inscription, illegible. See also Brass Indent (2).
Niches: see Architectural Description of W. Tower. Panelling: In N. aisle—on N. wall, towards W. end, six arcaded panels with strapwork and jewel-ornament, possibly of former pulpit, and some plain panels in moulded framing, 17th-century, reset; reused in screen to vestry, eight linenfold panels, early 16th-century.
Piscinae: In chancel—in S. wall, with moulded cinque-foiled head and jambs and stone shelf, front edge of sill shaped into two three-sided projections carried on pair of moulded and ribbed corbels, E. half containing foiled dishing to drain, mid 14th-century. In S. aisle— in S. wall, with ogee cinque-foiled chamfered head and jambs, sill cut back and foiled sinking and drain partly destroyed, late 15th-century. Plate: includes cup by I.G., 6½ ins. high, with straight tapered sides on plain flared stem, 1664; stand-paten by D.B., 9 ins. diam., with gadroon border, 1693, engraved with achievement-of-arms of Williams of Herringston; smaller stand-paten by C.O., 6½ ins. diam., of similar design, 1698; stand-paten, 47/8 ins. diam. bought in 1876 but older; two flagons with straight tapering sides and scrolled handles, 1811 and 1812, given by the vicar, Thomas Williams; straight-sided pewter flagon, 17th-century.
Seating: In nave, thirteen bench ends (Plate 67) incorporated in backs of modern pews, elaborately carved with tracerypatterns and linenfolds incorporating initials, H B and R C, shield with date 1547, others with pelican in piety, merchant's mark with initials HAC, and inscription: ION DAV WARDEN OF THYS CHARYS (Figs. pp. 18, 188).