Regis 1844 Tithe Map & Apportionments
Map forms part of the process undertaken by the Tithe Commutation
Act of 1836. Most of the maps were completed in the 1840s.
main task of this act, and the commissioners appointed as a result,
was the replacement of Tithe payment in kind, with a system which
calculated a monetary value for individual parcels or apportionments
of land. To achieve this the land of each parish had to
be surveyed in order to establish the titheable value.
were a tenth part of all produce, stock or clear profit from a
particular piece of land.
payments were made to the tithe-owner(s), which was often the
Church, though lords of manors were also included.
the Reformation land, and the tithes due on it, previously in
the possession of the Church was granted to lay owners, called
copies of each Tithe map were produced: one for the diocesan registry,
one for the parish and the Commisisoner's copy. Worcestershire
Record Office holds surviving parish and diocesan copies, the
Tithe Commissioners' copies are held at The National Archives
Tithe Apprtionments gives information about the land owner, the
tenant, the name or description of the land, the land use and
the rent paid for every piece of land in the parish.
original Tithe Apportionment documents were often stitched to
the maps and kept rolled up with them, making them quite difficult
the Image above for the Bere Regis 1844 Tithe Map
the Image above for the 1844 Tithe Map Apportionment Document
information about the Tithe Survey (and many other subjects) can
be found on the National Archives
web site in the research
section where a Tithes Research Guide is available.
to the Village History Page