of the old Village Wesleyan Chapel from 1828 onwards
is not known when a Methodist Church was first founded here,
but a Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1828 on a Site near Turberville
Road. This Chapel cost £120 to build, had a seating capacity
of 110 and was built of chalk cob with brick buttresses and
entrance porch and thatched roof. From an old Photograph (see
below) the Chapel appears to have formed part of a group of
farm buildings of similar construction, giving the appareance
of its having been adapted from a barn.
as it cost £120 to build, a large sum in 1828, it was
probably an entirely new building. It was the oldest Chapel
in the Dorchester Circuit and was in 1890 pulled down and replaced
by a brick and slate structure on the same site.
foundation stones were laid at a ceremony on 28th April 1890
by the Rev. J T Waddy BA, the Circuit Minister and Mr D Ballam
CC, when a Bazaar was held to raise funds in a nearby marquee.
This marquee was used as a temporary Chapel whilst the building
work was in progress. In 1931 a schoolroom was added at the
east end, but in April 1962 the chapel closed due to lack of
support. The building was then sold and used as a builders joinery
workshop before being demolished in the 1980s.